Wednesday 9 May 2012

There's just something about a great -

cliffhanger.

The other day at work, we were discussing ways of helping kids learn to read. Since I work at a bookstore that sells homeschooling resources, we often get to talk to parents about teaching methods. Eventually we got to the topic of how to get a kid interested in reading on his own. One suggestion seemed really good to me. It was from a mom who had tried this, and found it worked really well.

When she read with her kids, she would always make sure she had 'something pressing' that she had to do as soon as the book got to a really exciting moment. She would have to go make dinner, or call a friend or something, and then leave the book on a coffee table, or somewhere close by where the kids could reach it.

Pure genius.

It may not have happened the first time, but eventually those kids started going to the books themselves because the cliffhangers proved to be just too much for them. It instilled in them an actual desire to read.

And it's pretty obvious why. No one needs to be taught how to be curious. No one needs to be told to expect conflict to be resolved at the end of the story. We all yearn for the satisfaction of closure. We want to see exciting things happen, and experience incredible twists, and then we want to see how it will all end.

I should be clear on one thing though, I don't see cliffhangers as something that can only come at the end of a novel. I see cliffhangers as something that can potentially come at the end of a chapter, or the end of a scene even. I define it as a moment that is so filled with suspense, shock, or intensity that to stop at that point would be impossible. It's a moment that demands a resolution. Fast.

Cliffhangers can prove to be incredibly powerful devices. When used properly, they can totally absorb a reader into reading well past their intended bedtime, or force a reader to break down and buy the book they're holding in the bookstore.

When you're writing, you always need to keep in mind how you're going to keep your reader's attention. You can't have exciting things happening on every page, or else it gets monotonous, and you'll lose your reader. You always need to be asking the question "Why are they still reading right now?"

If you can't answer that as a writer, then something serious is wrong with your book.

This goes beyond cliffhangers, and more into just what makes something worth reading. The 'so what' factor. Why are you reading this book? Because you want to see how it will end. Because you care. You need some underlying questions to keep the reader interested, and cliffhangers are basically as close as you can get to knowing the answers without being told. Or, they're the bomb that an author lets go at the very last page of a chapter that takes the reader's breath away, gives them new questions to ask, and makes them say "What just happened?! What's going to happen next?"

I remember one novel in a series ending with the lead character asleep in his bed while an assassin points a gun to his head and is about to pull the trigger. I didn't have the next book with me at the time, so I had to wait about a month before I knew what happened next.

That month was agonizing.

Cliffhangers truly are powerful things. But they are two-edged swords. When a book ends every chapter with a cliffhanger, it's much like when there's something exciting happening every page. It gets boring, and cliche. When your reader feels bored, they stop caring. And that's exactly the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish with your cliffhanger. You want them to care more about what's going to happen. So what's a writer to do?

I was going to say cliffhangers are like salt, a little goes a long way, but really, they're not needed as often as salt, so the metaphor doesn't really fit. What fits better is cinnamon. It can pack a punch when used well, but if you use too much it just overpowers the whole dish. I put too much cinnamon in my coffee the other day, and it ended up messing up the whole cup.

So at least for me, if you want me to enjoy your story, give me cliffhangers. But make them good, and make them rare. That's the kind of thing I'm going to tell my friends about. That's what's going to leave a good taste in my mouth.

Do you have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers? Or just hate? What was the best cliffhanger you've ever seen/read? 

3 comments:

  1. I once had to stop reading in the very center of the climax and wait three days to finish the book, and I thought for sure that I was going to die. I kinda have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers because sometimes I'm not allowed to read a book that particular day or I know I'm not in the right mood or something. What I really love/hate is when you have a series and as you finish the second-to-last book you discover that the last one isn't out yet and they leave you with a major cliffhanger!! I just don't know what to do when that happenes so I try to not think about it at all and hope I last till the next book comes out.

    Bottom line; leave enough of a cliffhanger that the reader wants to read your next book, but don't make it so bad that you feel rushed to write the next one more quickly and less thoroughly than you would like, so don't leave the book with your main character being led to the guillotine and end it as his head is being laid on the chopping block or angry readers will come knocking at your door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cliffhangers, but not in the traditional sense. A cliffhanger for me is when I am so emotionally involved in the characterization that I can't seem to put the book down. When the cliffhanger is a near death situation that is always met by a triumphant victory, the book lacks depth (for me).

    I think there are two kinds of cliffhangers; some involve plot and others involve deep characterization. Which kind of cliffhanger do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting points, I definitely agree Emily, the author can't let themselves get rushed if they've written a really harsh cliffhanger and they haven't finished the next book. An author is always going to feel rushed, but you don't want angry readers to add to all the agent deadlines and such.

    Stef, I thought that was really interesting. I've never really thought about characterization cliffhangers. I'm trying to picture one in my head, would you describe it as when someone is about to make some crucial decision? Is it even a particular moment, or is it just the anticipation of something happening in the character's life that will fundamentally change them? Or is it something totally different?

    I think for me, my favourite kind of cliffhanger is when something absolutely unexpected and dreadful happens, or the climax just begins, and the book is sent into a whole new level of intensity. That's the kind that usually gets put at the end of a chapter, and is the reason why I don't put down a book quite often.

    ReplyDelete